All women have body hair, but it may be noticeable in some than in others and include growth on the face, chin, chest, and abdomen.
Hirsutism in women is when this hair growth become excessive.
The causes of excess body hair are hormones called androgens. It is reffer to as male hormones, though both men and women produce them.
when the female body produces too many androgen, it my develop more body hair than is typical. several medical conditions can cause the body to produce too many androgens.
PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) is the most common cause of excess body hair in women. PCOS is a hormone imbalance that causes the body to produce too many androgens.
Many androgens production in women are caused by either of the following
Tumors on the adrenal glands or Ovaries that releases androgens
Medications like Antidepressant, some Antibiotics, Sleeping Medications, Hormones such as Estrogen and Testosterone, plus drugs that alter Hormone production.
Hyperprolactinemia, a condition which causes the body to produce high levels of Hormone Prolactin, responsible for producing milk in breastfeeding women even without nursing and may experience Infertility or not have their Periods
Thyroid disorders which may create an imbalance of hormones that may cause excess body hair
Some conditions that cause Hirsutism may be inherited
Apparently women with PCOS often show the following symptoms
- Irregular menstrual Cycles
- Mood change
- Pelvic Pains
- Sleep problems
If Hirsutism is Caused by Cushing Syndrome, Signs And Symptoms can Include
- Obesity, especially around the middle section
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
- Thinning Skin
Treatment For Excessive Or Unwanted Hair
If Hirsutism is not caused by tumors on the adrenal glands or ovaries, you may want to consider the following
- If you are overweight, you need to lose some weight , obesity can change the way your body produces and processes hormones. maintaining a healthy weight may correct your level of androgens without the use of medications
- Use of Saw Palmetto : It has anti – androgenic effects, meaning it lowers level of male hormones in the body.
It is sometimes suggested for treating PCOS
3. Spearmint Tea : 1 cup, 2 times per day. A preliminary study found that women with Hirsutism who drank Spearmint Tea had less free testosterone (a male hormone) in their blood
Another study found that spearmint tea lowered androgen levels in women who had PCOS.
4. Lavender and tea tree oilsmay reduce mild Hirsutism without a known cause. These oils are for topical use only.